At Tarin, we celebrate Geographic Information Systems (GIS) in much of what we do every day. But today, Wednesday, November 14, 2018, our community comes together in recognizing the success the industry has seen over the last year and to look ahead to the limitless future.
As the GIS industry grows exponentially each year, more data acquisitions, industry applications and technological advancements make our products more relevant to nearly all aspects of our daily lives.
With huge progress made in real-time data, consumer-facing information and artificial intelligence (AI) in the last five years nearly every industry now uses GIS data at some level.
- The use of geospatial data and technology are integral in the production of autonomous vehicles. Real-time locational data collected from connected vehicles across the world paints an ever-growing picture of the way we travel and enables continuous data acquisition for future products and technologies.
- The use of digital maps has made walking, driving and taking public transit riding more efficient and enables the tracking of vehicles location, speed and time spent on the road.
- Ride share services like Uber and Lyft use real-time data to track the closest ride for a user and allow customers to track drivers and see when they will arrive. With this information, drivers are directed to high traffic areas based on the frequency of ride requests.
- Using social geography, health care is being redefined from a treatment model to a prevention and wellness model with the help of information gathered from wearable tech like the FitBit. With the use of new technology and data they can detect high risk areas and determine where the greatest need is to deploy resources for the greatest benefit.
- In professional sport, coaches and doctors have the ability to keep tabs on athlete’s health through wearables, allowing for personalized exercise and wellness strategies that can minimize injury.
- The role of any level of government is to make decisions that benefit the most citizens. Since many of these decisions involve location, having access to relevant locational data and an easy way to use that data makes their jobs easier. In infrastructure planning, census completion and asset management, geospatial information is key in determining the Five W’s of any project.
- Emergency preparedness and action plans, with the help of residents use of mobile devices and social media, can save lives through real-time transportation updates in the event of an evacuation, UAV flights to locate missing or stranded persons and even assessing who needs available resources most,
This year was a big one for Tarin and our more than 300 clients. In January 2018 we added GIS and custom mapping to our list of ever-expanding services to help clients that do not have their own GIS/mapping departments. One of these new offerings is a new software from our partners at Solv3D, that will enable clients to manage their assets in a collaborative 3-D environment, giving them the ability to mash up all types of geospatial data, share that information with colleagues and visualize the entire project in 3-D. At Tarin we will keep you up-to-date on new technology as well as geospatial data, please give us a call if you have any questions.
If you’re a hands on learner, check out one of hundreds of GIS Day events happening across the world or learn more about GIS from the comfort of your office or home by exploring Google Street View, going on a GeoCaching adventure or creating satellite imagery e-cards on geoGreeting to share with family and friends.